Skip to main content

Right it Out

I know I should optimize my titles for search, but since my titles are part of my art, I cannot compromise. You see, I love a title that is clever and nuanced. For today's post, I vacillated between "Write it Out" and "Right it Out." Both have a meaningful application.

Through writing, I come to know what is right for me. And as I discover additional rights in life, I return to my pad and write it out. It's a beautiful, self-reinforcing cycle.

I was texting with a dear friend today and she confessed her lack of confidence in certain areas of her life, particularly regarding her decision to leave her faith culture. We were both raised in the same religion by devout parents, and this past weekend our church held one of its large conferences. I didn't even remember that it was that time of the year and I was busily engaged at a work conference in a distant city. I have no idea what was covered in their sessions and I can honestly say, I do not care. She, however, tuned in for some of the talks and was upset with some of the content.

Supposedly, several talks focused on the faith and strength of members who choose to remain and pointed to the lack of faith and strength of those members who had left the faith. She was furious. I asked her why she even cared if she believed it wasn't true? It's so very interesting to me that some who leave are still so unsure. Here is what my friend texted me:


I super admire how confident you are in your church exit. I’m trying to be more like you.


Her comment has me want to reflect on what makes me so confident. I guess, off the top of my head, it is because I spent several months agonizing over the decision to leave. It wasn't a decision I took lightly. As soon as I realized that all was not well in Oz (or should I say Zion?),  I searched my soul and reached high into the Heavens for guidance. I felt an extreme amount of peace that my path was no longer the way I had been walking. I knew I had to act on my new found knowledge and sow my seed. That was back in June 2017, and since then my seed has taken root and blossomed into the most beautiful tree.

When I left my religion, I left my need to look to others for revelation and personal guidance. I knew I possessed the power within to chart my own course and pursue the path that was right for me. There is no one right way. There is kindness, generosity, love, gratitude, peace, happiness, heartache, compassion, mercy, suffering, pain, and ultimately joy. We have the beautiful gift of gracing this earth for who knows how many years. It behooves us to make the most of it and enjoy each freaking present moment. I'm so grateful for my awakening. For all the enlightened friends I'm finding along the way. I'm grateful too for those who choose other paths and what their choices teach me. I do not care so much about what others choose, I care most about how I co-exist with them and cooperate to make Earth a Heaven and haven for all humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Treason

I don’t know if you’re like me or not, but I was born into the one and only “true” religion of God. I spent my entire life studying and living the principles and teachings of my faith. I knew the doctrine, and I believed it to be true. Until I didn’t. The road to the unraveling of my faith is a rather long one—definitely another article for another day--but suffice it to say, I began studying other religions and realized that all of them contained beautiful truths. I felt as uplifted and inspired while reading their scriptures as I did reading mine. I understood why some referred to religion as a “faith culture” for I was now aware that had I been born and raised in a different religion, I’d have believed that religious tradition to be true. I came to see religions as merely vehicles leading us back to God. Surely God didn’t care whether his children drove jalopies or Jaguars so long as they were moving along the superhighway back to Him. Or could it be her? Or perhaps there wasn’t ju

Relationships

I've been thinking a bit about relationships. I'm seeing them differently than I've ever seen them before. First, I realize that relationships are created in our minds. What we think about our relationships defines them. If I think my daughter is ungrateful, I will see ingratitude in all her actions. If I tell myself my coworker is annoying, I will find him extremely so.  And so it goes. What we think about others creates how we relate to them. So why not think happy, positive, loving thoughts about the people we relate with? We absolutely have the power to create amazing relationships by changing the way we think about our relations. Second, I've been thinking about the importance of loving the people in our life for who they are, not for what we need them to be. People need freedom to be who they want to be. If you love someone, you don't try to change them. That isn't love. Love is accepting someone for who they are and where they are right now. Love know

His Light Lives On

Page told me during breakfast this morning that President Thomas S. Monson passed away last night. The realization that a great soul had left this mortal life washed over me. I wanted to pay tribute to him today so I decided I would take his framed picture with me to work and set it aside a lighted candle. It would be my way to acknowledge the illuminating affect he has had in my life and the life of so many others, as well as signify that his light lives on. Here's how it looked:   I moved him throughout the day so that I could always see him. I also spent some time reading some of his most beloved quotes. I felt his presence and my love for his great soul increased. Some of the quotes I shared with others throughout the day include: Decisions determine destiny Your future is as bright as your faith   Search inward. Reach outward. Look heavenward Never postpone a prompting We can't direct the wind but we can adjust the sails It's always bet