Skip to main content

Transcending vs. Embracing

I'm trying to decide what the balance between transcending and embracing should be? I mean if our purpose is to fully embrace and experience life, then do we really want to transcend our experiences? I would think it would be better to relish the experience rather than try to escape or overcome it? For example, when I gashed open my shin, I told myself it wasn't pain. I used my mind to "transcend" the experience. I told myself that the surge of sensation I was feeling in my shin was simply that, sensation. I was really amazed at how effective this method was in helping me deal with the pain. But now, I'm wondering if the same effect could be had by coming at the pain another way? What if, in this shin situation, instead of seeking to minimize the pain, I had instead moved toward the pain? Could looking pain in the eyes and embracing it with open curiosity have been equally effective in helping me deal with the pain?

Why do we immediately assume pain is bad and to be avoided? What if holding the pain is precisely what we need to do in order to better understand it's origin? What if intimately holding and dancing with our experience(s) enables us to ultimately stop the tendency to react with "Fight, Flight, or Freeze?"

A wise man once said that all it takes to overcome fear is to look fear in the eyes. Face your fears and they will flee? I don't know that one or the other is always the one or only way to proceed or process life experiences. In fact, the more I think about it, I think embracing our experiences is what leads to liberation. And if liberation is semantically the same as transcendence, then I see that the question isn't really "to transcend or to embrace?" Instead, the path to liberation comes through embracing your experiences for when we embrace what is, we become free. Free from illusion and free from suffering. We allow life to teach us the lessons we most need to learn right now.

One last experience to illustrate my point. I had a less than stellar mommy moment. I reacted to my child in a less than compassionate way. Naturally, I felt like a terrible mother. I witnessed my self-beratement and I immediately tried to push those feelings of regret and guilt away. I tried to "transcend" the negative feelings. I then remembered the wise words concerning "embracing our experiences" and so I decided to sit there and really examine my feelings of guilt. I let them wash over me and I stayed with them. You know what? It felt kind of crummy. But acknowledging and fully felling my crumminess is what ultimately allowed those feelings to pass on through. They haven't cropped back up and I am done feeling bad about my behavior. I am not a bad person. I'm a really good person who sometimes does bad things. And I even hate using the word "Bad" because it feels so untrue. We all just make mistakes. It's part of our humanness. I'm not bad, and I'm not perfect. And I don't need to transcend any of this. . . I'm embracing it instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Treason

I don’t know if you’re like me or not, but I was born into the one and only “true” religion of God. I spent my entire life studying and living the principles and teachings of my faith. I knew the doctrine, and I believed it to be true. Until I didn’t. The road to the unraveling of my faith is a rather long one—definitely another article for another day--but suffice it to say, I began studying other religions and realized that all of them contained beautiful truths. I felt as uplifted and inspired while reading their scriptures as I did reading mine. I understood why some referred to religion as a “faith culture” for I was now aware that had I been born and raised in a different religion, I’d have believed that religious tradition to be true. I came to see religions as merely vehicles leading us back to God. Surely God didn’t care whether his children drove jalopies or Jaguars so long as they were moving along the superhighway back to Him. Or could it be her? Or perhaps there wasn’t ju

Relationships

I've been thinking a bit about relationships. I'm seeing them differently than I've ever seen them before. First, I realize that relationships are created in our minds. What we think about our relationships defines them. If I think my daughter is ungrateful, I will see ingratitude in all her actions. If I tell myself my coworker is annoying, I will find him extremely so.  And so it goes. What we think about others creates how we relate to them. So why not think happy, positive, loving thoughts about the people we relate with? We absolutely have the power to create amazing relationships by changing the way we think about our relations. Second, I've been thinking about the importance of loving the people in our life for who they are, not for what we need them to be. People need freedom to be who they want to be. If you love someone, you don't try to change them. That isn't love. Love is accepting someone for who they are and where they are right now. Love know

His Light Lives On

Page told me during breakfast this morning that President Thomas S. Monson passed away last night. The realization that a great soul had left this mortal life washed over me. I wanted to pay tribute to him today so I decided I would take his framed picture with me to work and set it aside a lighted candle. It would be my way to acknowledge the illuminating affect he has had in my life and the life of so many others, as well as signify that his light lives on. Here's how it looked:   I moved him throughout the day so that I could always see him. I also spent some time reading some of his most beloved quotes. I felt his presence and my love for his great soul increased. Some of the quotes I shared with others throughout the day include: Decisions determine destiny Your future is as bright as your faith   Search inward. Reach outward. Look heavenward Never postpone a prompting We can't direct the wind but we can adjust the sails It's always bet