Skip to main content

I Can't Believe What I Used to Believe

This title has dualistic meanings. First, read I can't believe what I used to believe in an astonished tone as in "I have no idea how I actually once believed some of the things I used to believe." Second, read I can't believe what I used to believe as a matter of fact in that I can't go back. My eyes have been opened and I can't unsee all the reasons why I no longer believe what I used to believe.

As I wrote yesterday, I believe we already have everything we need within. We don't need a Holy Ghost, teacher, prophet, bishop, or parent to tell us what to do. We need to find a quiet place to think, ponder, meditate, or pray. Looking back over my life, it's all so clear why I never received answers to my prayers. I was looking for those answers to come from without instead of looking for the answers within. I remember praying to know which college to attend. I had received scholarships to a couple of universities and felt that surely God had a plan and purpose for me so I should seek his direction. I prayed and fasted much, but didn't feel impressed one way or the other--essentially, I didn't get a divine answer. So I just did what all my friends were doing and what sounded like the most fun. I packed my bags and headed for USU.

I can say the same thing about everything I've ever prayed about. I would pour my guts out to God, hoping for some divine manifestation, and when none came, I'd just make the logical choice--following the advice of Benjamin Franklin and making a list of pros and cons. What I wish I could go back and tell my old praying self is this: "Stop asking God for answers and instead ask yourself. You are a God--a whole, complete, divine being with infinite possibilities. The world is your oyster. There is no one right way. Choose what you want and then go make the best of it. Love and serve others along the way and feel and see good and God in everything you do."

Additionally, I no longer believe that individual salvation lies in some other being. Nor do I believe that someone else can atone for my sins--mostly because I no longer believe in sin. I believe in learning, growth, and progress. I don't believe in evil. I believe that all beings are good and want to do good. Seriously, only hurting people hurt others. One day we will understand more about the brain. Not everyone is blessed with a healthy brain. Those who suffer from mental illness--or who are under the influence of drugs and other substances--make bad choices. As we continue to improve health care, increase love and compassion, and help people overcome addictions, we will create a Zion-Utopian society. There is SO much good in this world. I am ever optimistic about the future of our planet. Everywhere I look, I see amazing, incredible things.

I am so excited to continue my life journey. I have no idea what lies beyond this life, but I'm not one bit worried about it. I have the utmost confidence that if I continue to live a life of service, love, and gratitude, everything will be well with me in the here and now and forever in the eternities. What I now believe makes me declare with certainty I can't believe what I used to believe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Treason

I don’t know if you’re like me or not, but I was born into the one and only “true” religion of God. I spent my entire life studying and living the principles and teachings of my faith. I knew the doctrine, and I believed it to be true. Until I didn’t. The road to the unraveling of my faith is a rather long one—definitely another article for another day--but suffice it to say, I began studying other religions and realized that all of them contained beautiful truths. I felt as uplifted and inspired while reading their scriptures as I did reading mine. I understood why some referred to religion as a “faith culture” for I was now aware that had I been born and raised in a different religion, I’d have believed that religious tradition to be true. I came to see religions as merely vehicles leading us back to God. Surely God didn’t care whether his children drove jalopies or Jaguars so long as they were moving along the superhighway back to Him. Or could it be her? Or perhaps there wasn’t ju

Relationships

I've been thinking a bit about relationships. I'm seeing them differently than I've ever seen them before. First, I realize that relationships are created in our minds. What we think about our relationships defines them. If I think my daughter is ungrateful, I will see ingratitude in all her actions. If I tell myself my coworker is annoying, I will find him extremely so.  And so it goes. What we think about others creates how we relate to them. So why not think happy, positive, loving thoughts about the people we relate with? We absolutely have the power to create amazing relationships by changing the way we think about our relations. Second, I've been thinking about the importance of loving the people in our life for who they are, not for what we need them to be. People need freedom to be who they want to be. If you love someone, you don't try to change them. That isn't love. Love is accepting someone for who they are and where they are right now. Love know

His Light Lives On

Page told me during breakfast this morning that President Thomas S. Monson passed away last night. The realization that a great soul had left this mortal life washed over me. I wanted to pay tribute to him today so I decided I would take his framed picture with me to work and set it aside a lighted candle. It would be my way to acknowledge the illuminating affect he has had in my life and the life of so many others, as well as signify that his light lives on. Here's how it looked:   I moved him throughout the day so that I could always see him. I also spent some time reading some of his most beloved quotes. I felt his presence and my love for his great soul increased. Some of the quotes I shared with others throughout the day include: Decisions determine destiny Your future is as bright as your faith   Search inward. Reach outward. Look heavenward Never postpone a prompting We can't direct the wind but we can adjust the sails It's always bet