Skip to main content

Missionary Work

I used to want to serve a mission for my church. That was back when I believed what I had been taught which was that our religion was the only true religion on the earth. I was instructed that it was our duty to share these gospel truths with all the world so that they too may be saved. When I believed that this was the case, there was nothing I wanted to do more than travel the earth preaching the restored gospel to all within earshot. Now that I know that this just isn't so, I have no desire to go. I don't believe that there is only one true religion on this earth. I believe that all religions are man-made organizations designed to help people draw closer to God and accomplish good. All religions contain some beautiful truths--they have to or else no one would be drawn to them. And all religions also contain their own flare and share of the doctrines of men. Additionally, all religions do much good and all religions do their fair share of harm. I favor no one organization over the other. I also fault no one for choosing to disaffiliate from them all or for choosing to never join the ranks in the first place. Beliefs are personal and I believe in allowing men and women to worship how, where or what they may.

Now, just because I don't want to serve a mission doesn't mean I can't support and encourage all those who still desire so to do. While I have no desire to stop any organization from their attempts to grow their ranks, I do wish to see people everywhere come to the realization that their organization isn't any more endorsed by God than any other. I prefer to see organized religions promoted and marketed as the man-made organizations and social clubs that they are. It doesn't do anyone a favor to pretend their organization is the ONE and ONLY endorsed by God. Although, as a marketer, I get that to be a very compelling USP (unique selling proposition). This type of claim should be regulated for it is highly misleading. Which makes me chuckle because I am not a fan of the FDA and all their regulations. So hopefully, as the masses become more enlightened, they will simply begin to recognize the "only true church" claims as the marketing hype that they are. Informed consumers is what I am for. And since I prefer to live my life placing my focus on what I am for rather than on what I am against, I find it very easy to still support my friends who are out serving missions. Rather than encourage them in their quest to gain new converts to their "only true church," I choose to encourage them in spreading love. Here are my latest words of wisdom to my friend serving a Mormon Mission who was feeling quite discouraged because no one is interested in hearing their message of salvation: 

Hi Lady! So fun to read your email and hear about the neat experiences you are having. I just love how life has this epic way of teaching us all we need to know to learn and grow. Your companions and people you meet and teach are so blessed to have your incredible energy and love in their lives.

Love that you are learning the power of getting specific. I always say, “Where the thoughts go, energy flows!” And I’m a firm believer that we can manifest anything in our lives with the power of intent. One of my life mantras is “Everything I need is already on its way.” And believe it or not, everything I need always arrives just in time. I am always amazed at how the universe, spirit, God, or whatever you want to call it, conspires so perfectly to ensure my life unfolds remarkably. Everything always is just as it should be. 

Keep loving those good people for "All you need is love" (stole that from John Lennon ;).

One of my favorite Mother Teresa quotes is “I can do no great thing, only small things with great love.” And of course, "if you can’t feed a thousand people, then feed just one!” Jesus demonstrated this best as he made his ministry always about the “one.” Keep ministering Sister Missionary! ;)

And keep co-creating miracles with God. I love nothing more than loving others for when I love I am God, for “God is love.”  Keep showing people God’s love through yours. And keep reminding them all that they are divine beings with infinite possibilities. Their past does not determine their future, and their future is always as bright as their faith! 

Rock on beautiful! Xoxo
___
The world needs more missionaries sharing that message of truth. That is the kind of missionary work I'm enthused to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy Treason

I don’t know if you’re like me or not, but I was born into the one and only “true” religion of God. I spent my entire life studying and living the principles and teachings of my faith. I knew the doctrine, and I believed it to be true. Until I didn’t. The road to the unraveling of my faith is a rather long one—definitely another article for another day--but suffice it to say, I began studying other religions and realized that all of them contained beautiful truths. I felt as uplifted and inspired while reading their scriptures as I did reading mine. I understood why some referred to religion as a “faith culture” for I was now aware that had I been born and raised in a different religion, I’d have believed that religious tradition to be true. I came to see religions as merely vehicles leading us back to God. Surely God didn’t care whether his children drove jalopies or Jaguars so long as they were moving along the superhighway back to Him. Or could it be her? Or perhaps there wasn’t ju

Relationships

I've been thinking a bit about relationships. I'm seeing them differently than I've ever seen them before. First, I realize that relationships are created in our minds. What we think about our relationships defines them. If I think my daughter is ungrateful, I will see ingratitude in all her actions. If I tell myself my coworker is annoying, I will find him extremely so.  And so it goes. What we think about others creates how we relate to them. So why not think happy, positive, loving thoughts about the people we relate with? We absolutely have the power to create amazing relationships by changing the way we think about our relations. Second, I've been thinking about the importance of loving the people in our life for who they are, not for what we need them to be. People need freedom to be who they want to be. If you love someone, you don't try to change them. That isn't love. Love is accepting someone for who they are and where they are right now. Love know

His Light Lives On

Page told me during breakfast this morning that President Thomas S. Monson passed away last night. The realization that a great soul had left this mortal life washed over me. I wanted to pay tribute to him today so I decided I would take his framed picture with me to work and set it aside a lighted candle. It would be my way to acknowledge the illuminating affect he has had in my life and the life of so many others, as well as signify that his light lives on. Here's how it looked:   I moved him throughout the day so that I could always see him. I also spent some time reading some of his most beloved quotes. I felt his presence and my love for his great soul increased. Some of the quotes I shared with others throughout the day include: Decisions determine destiny Your future is as bright as your faith   Search inward. Reach outward. Look heavenward Never postpone a prompting We can't direct the wind but we can adjust the sails It's always bet